Friday, October 23, 2009

Crazy culture week







Why does it always seem like special events seem to be clumped together, instead of nicely spaced out? By Sunday I will have been to two musuems and three concerts, aside from my usual daily life and getting ready to leave on top of that.
The Nouvelle Vague concert was a blast! Neither one of us were expecting them to be so good live, but it was a very entertaining evening. I loved their version of "So Lonely" by the Police, and Stefaan got a huge kick out of hearing their covers of the Dead Kennedys, Bauhaus and the Sex Pistols. Here is another link to them singing Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Yesterday Kristel and I went into Brussels to see the Magritte musuem. It's a permanent new museum that just opened this summer, but I had two free tickets that expire the end of October, so I really wanted to go before leaving. We really enjoyed it, the musuem is incredible - well organized in chronological order, with lots of information on René Magritte's life and times, his wife Georgette, their group of friends, and most of all, his beautiful works of art (see above). We ended up having lunch at one of the most spetacular views in Brussels - the Musical Instrument Musuem's Café on the 10th floor, where you can see all the Brussels landmarks, including the Atomium from your table. It ended up being a great day out.
Today I got off to the gym in time to do my upper body weights before the Zumba class, which seems to be getting harder everytime I go - the teacher keeps on adding steps and variations to the songs. Well, at least it won't get boring!
Tonight Stefaan and I are going to concert number two for the week to see Frank Van der Linden, a Belgian musician who used to front the group "De Mens" but recently released a solo album. Stefaan actually purchased the CD (a good sign) and played it a ton this year, so most of the songs will sound very familiar! Here is a link to one of his new songs, Nachtwaker.

3 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I've always wanted to go to a museum like that. I did see one of the Smithsonian art museums but it was such a quick trip I didn't get to appreciate all the beauty.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Kathryn said...

It's true that things "pile up" like that - I've had a similarly crazy October but yours sounds fabulous!!! I hope you enjoy the concert tonight!!

Fran said...

So much fun things to do and still have time to workout: good for you!