Monday, May 9, 2011

Back to the gym - finally

It's been ages since I've been at my gym - for a couple of reasons. First of all, we've had such a gorgeous spring, I haven't had to go to the gym for any indoor running - I've been able to do all of it outside, which has been great. And then I've been busy with the renovations, so to save time I decided to do strength workouts at home (the 30 Day Shred). BUT... we all know how good intentions to work out at home can be difficult to keep up, when everything else seems to get in the way, and take priority. So let's just say it had been awhile since I got a good strength workout in!

I also HATE the idea that I am paying for my gym and not going, so this morning I was absolutely determined to get myself back there, and I did! It was so nice to be back and see some familiar faces, and work up a good sweat on the elliptical and then do a short weight routine (I don't want to kill myself on my first day back, do I?). I purposely made it easy for myself to ease back into working out by planning to do just two upper body exercises (chest press and lat pulldown), two lower body (leg presses and curls) and then two abs and then stretch. Then I biked home and treated myself to a smoothie - soymilk, blueberries, some fresh parsley, flaxseed, hemp protein powder and some cinnamon. Yum!

My intention for the next couple weeks is to get my three runs in, just going by time (40 minutes, 50 minutes and 60 minutes) - which is what I have been doing all spring, and then also get myself to the gym three times each week for strength and additional cardio. I think I might want to do another difficult weight program this summer, but I am not sure yet which one. Last year I did New Rules, and the year before Body for Life, and each time I really made progress on my fitness level. Summer seems to be a good time for me to focus on something like that. Any suggestions anyone?

10 comments:

Liz said...

Like you, I hadn't been to the gym for over a month due to increased running and better temperatures, but I went last Friday and had a great session; 60 mins of various cardio and some weights. It's always good to get plenty of variety I think, even though I just want to run most of the time!

Lori said...

I might suggest the 28-day Body Shape Over by Brad Schoenfeld. It is challenging. Not to the degree of NROLW, but a good solid program nonetheless. I am going to do this one again.

Fran said...

I would say: ask Lori but she already answered :)

Funny: your comeback to the gym is on the same day as mine :) I'm going this afternoon. Haven't been there in 2 months or so and like you hate to pay for it.

My goal is to go twice a week for strength and once every two weeks I will do one of my runs on the treadmill and use a hills program since I don't have those where I live.

Darlene said...

Lately I've been leaving my Garmin home when I train & just run - much more enjoyable - time doesn't matter unless it's a race.

Bert said...

I would suggest more smoothies... :-) Sounds great, especially with blueberries and some fresh parsley.

Char said...

You're so good to do strength work. Mine is just some core work and some push ups a couple of times a week. I know how good it is for you but just can't get into it with any regularity.

ajh said...

Where do you get the programs you follow? I should do something like that.

Marcelle said...

I'm just popping in to say HI....as no suggestions....I am so anti the gym here and have not been since January and paying, but cant face the hot, stinking place we have in our town....
I am loving the kettlebell I do at home and then the running I do outdoors as weather is so good...thats as far as my training goes at the moment...
I hope you find whats going to suit you....I hardly get to my computer these days as love being out in the sunshine....:)
Thanks for your lovely comments you leave on my blog....I love hearing from you and miss you when you don't pop around, which is hardly ever. :)

ajh said...

You won Running on Empty. Send me your mom's mailing info at ajh@gmavt.net

Yeah I was excited you won!

Marshall said...

I am new to the blogging world and was looking around when I saw this post. I would like to recommend reading the book Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I am not affiliated with him but many of the posts related to this blog may benefit from this information. Good luck and good health!