Friday, March 16, 2012

Words cannot convey the sense of loss that is felt here.

This morning I walked to the school in Heverlee to pay my respects and then to the cathedral in the center of town to light a candle.  I wanted to be in town, at the town hall, for the moment of silence at 11.  I ended up seeing a woman I know and we stood together in the crowd of others who were there.  We stood in silence until the tolling of the church bells broke the spell.  Then we went into the town hall to wait to write our condolances in the sympathy book.  I was glad she was there to share the moment with me and we hugged each other as we went our separate ways.

My thoughts have been with the families of the victims, here and in the cities of Lommel and Aarschot, nearly non-stop since we heard the news.  Everyone here in our city is affected by this and connected in some way to someone who was on that bus. 

I can only hope that the support of family, friends, and our community will continue to be a comfort to the families who were hit by this in the difficult times ahead.  And that the rest of us are mindful of how precious life is and that we remember to cherish what we have every day.

8 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

I was in shock the other day when I heard of this tragedy on the news. My immediate thought was of you and your boys. I remember a few years ago when they were part of the ski trip.

My heart goes out to the families and friends along with you and your community.

Please know that we are all thinking of you ALL in Belgium.

ajh said...

I'm glad you had someone to be with.

Giorgio said...

Today Italian schools came to a standstill for a minute's silence at 11:00 AM.
I'm still thinking the families of the victims!

Cindy said...

This is such a sad time for your town and country. Thoughts are with you.

Liz said...

Just so tragic and terrible.

Char said...

I think of you and the mourning Belgian families every time I hear something about this tragedy on the news. Something like this is devastating to a community. It's a huge loss.

Ewa said...

I was very touched after reading Giorgio's comment. I hope those families will learn how deeply people alilover the world were affected by this tragedy.

Anonymous said...

A tragic incident. No words to explain the feeling. My thoughts are with the families and the community.