Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Easy Run but not so Fun

Last week it was Jenny's turn, so I guess this week it's my turn...to have a run turn into a real struggle because of some physical problem. I biked up to the gym to do my easy run of 35 minutes on the treadmill. It was warmer than last week (14° C) but I didn't want to run outside because it was misty, raining lightly and I hate that insecure feeling I get when it's wet out like I am going to trip or fall flat on my face or sprain my ankle on the slick and slippery sidewalks (although I am aware that I do need to get some workouts in on pavement to be ready for that in the half).

So I got started running and noticed right away the inside of my left ankle was hurting, rather sharply. I kept going, thinking maybe it would work itself out, but it seemed to just hurt more and radiate up the front of my shin as I kept running and increased my tempo a little bit. So I backed off, took more frequent walk breaks and kept the running segments to a very slow tempo. While walking it didn't bother me at all, but whenever I picked the pace up to a run, it started again. I was so bummed! I figured the most important goal was to get the 35 minutes in, even if I had to do it slowly. I ended up doing 4.4 kilometers, which actually wasn't too bad, but I had been hoping to do about 5 like last week. Oh well.

I hope it's nothing serious - hopefully just some inflammation. I took ibuprofen and am icing it as I type this! I'll be really happy if I can do my speed workout on Thursday.

3 comments:

J said...

Oh, that's a bummer. It's like you had my side stitch, but in your ankle. Let's get the crappy runs out of the way now, so we will only have good runs for the rest of our training. I hope the ice and ibuprofin helped.

Cindy said...

Try wearing the MBT's they might help. It sounds almost like a shin splint.

Amy said...

Thanks for the tip...does the muscle that runs along the front of the shin go down the inside of your ankle? I'll try the MBT's.