Friday, October 12, 2007

More Motivation!

The immediate consequences of our choices are often less important than the long term impact these decisions will have on our lives.
- Daily OM (www.dailyom.com)

Another spot-on quote from the Daily OM! In other words, skipping a workout just because you're busy or tired or whatever might make sense if you only consider your immediate, current situation, but when you also take the long term into account (for example your ability four months from now to complete a half marathon without being picked up by the slacker bus), you are forced to face the music: it does matter in the long term, and at the end of the journey, you aren't going to remember the days when you were busy or tired and got your workout in anyway (or not) - all you will be aware of is if you reach your goal (or not).

Like Stephen Covey says in The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: "Begin with the end in mind." The more you can keep that vision of the end result you want, your goal, alive in your mind, the easier it will be to make the right choices day by day that will contribute to reaching that goal.

This morning I biked to the gym and did my 40 minute elliptical workout. It was a bit harder than last week, I could definitely feel my tiredness, but it was okay. I did the strength exercises that have to be done at a gym (lat pulley, leg press and lying down chest press), and then I raced home to finish the translation that was due at 3 pm. Now that I have finished that and sent it in, and after I post this on the blog, I am going to go downstairs and do the last few strength exercises that I didn't get in this morning (because of my deadline)! Talk about keeping the end (my rear end?) in mind! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Amy, your comments today were dead-on. I was just saying to Patrice how I had had such a crappy week and I was so tired, and how I was arguing with myself about the run this evening. I guess I'll go anyway, and feel better, of course, afterwards. I always do. Why do we always forget or downplay that?

Amy said...

Because it is the path of least resistance! It's easier (short term) to blow hard stuff off. I hope you did your run anyway! It's good training for your resistance muscle!