Today I got a 30 minute walk in, taking the boys to school, but my real exercise today is going to be pumpkin wrestling.
Pumpkin wrestling is a little known sport practiced by women in Belgium in the fall and winter. The only equipment you need is a knife and a very large ripe pumpkin that is starting to go a bit soft around the stem and urgently needs something done with it before it completely rots and falls apart in a mushy disgusting mess on your front porch. This usually happens after the temperature starts dipping below freezing at night, then you start to notice soft spots on your pumpkin and know it is time for pumpkin wrestling.
So I've got such a pumpkin, a huge one that I received from our neighbor Jos this fall, and today I will cut it up in big pieces (that's the wrestling part), roast the chunks in the oven (with the skin side down), scoop off the flesh and freeze it in little portions to use in recipes. Such as: pumpkin soup, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin cake, pumpkin custard - yes, I know, I sound like Bubba in Forrest Gump going on and on about shrimp.... But there are so many good ways to enjoy pumpkin! And pumpkin wrestling is such a great upper body workout!
Pumpkin wrestling is a little known sport practiced by women in Belgium in the fall and winter. The only equipment you need is a knife and a very large ripe pumpkin that is starting to go a bit soft around the stem and urgently needs something done with it before it completely rots and falls apart in a mushy disgusting mess on your front porch. This usually happens after the temperature starts dipping below freezing at night, then you start to notice soft spots on your pumpkin and know it is time for pumpkin wrestling.
So I've got such a pumpkin, a huge one that I received from our neighbor Jos this fall, and today I will cut it up in big pieces (that's the wrestling part), roast the chunks in the oven (with the skin side down), scoop off the flesh and freeze it in little portions to use in recipes. Such as: pumpkin soup, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin cake, pumpkin custard - yes, I know, I sound like Bubba in Forrest Gump going on and on about shrimp.... But there are so many good ways to enjoy pumpkin! And pumpkin wrestling is such a great upper body workout!
2 comments:
Mmmmmm...pumpkin.
Pumpkin beer? :D
Post a Comment