Friday, March 7, 2008

Synchronicity

In response to Kathryn's comment on my last blog entry...I totally agree with the idea that, if we are paying attention, things that we need to know, people we need to meet, experiences that we need to have, both good and bad...come to us as if ordered specifically for us. It may be difficult to accept that with negative experiences, but somehow I still think it is true. Just like I mentioned how I kept "bumping into" certain books about vegetariansm and then "by accident" I found out about the EVA lecture in Leuven. Synchronicity has been a recurring theme in my own life, which has always had a kind of "go with the flow" quality to it.

I was cleaning out my email today and printing out some of the Daily OM's that I loved...and guess what? Back in February there was one about synchronicity! Here is what she (Madisyn Taylor, the author of Daily OM) had to say about it:

When events appear to fit together perfectly in our lives it may seem at first that they are random occurrences, things that are the result of coincidence. These synchronous happenings, though, are much more than that, for, if we look at them more closely they can show us that the universe is listening to us and gently communicating with us. Learning to pay attention to and link the things that occur on a daily basis can be a way for us to become more attuned to the fact that most everything happens in our lives for a reason – even when that reason is not clear right away. When we realize that things often go more smoothly than we can ever imagine, it allows us to take the time to reflect on the patterns in our lives. Even events that might not at first seem to be related to each other are indicators that the universe is working with, not against, us. This idea of synchronicity, then, means that we have to trust there is more to our lives than what we experience on a physical level. We need to be willing to look more closely at the bigger picture, accepting and having confidence in the fact that there is more to our experiences than immediately
meets the eye. Being open to synchronicity also means that we have to understand that our lives are filled with both positive and negative events. Once we can recognize that one event is neither more desirable nor better than the other – they all have an overall purpose in our lives -- then we are truly ready to listen to the messages the universe gives us. (http://www.dailyom.com/)

If you are interested in learning more about synchronicity, I can recommend the book Jung on Synchronicity and the Paranormal edited by Roderick Main. It contains Jung's essay "On Synchronicity" where he explains his theory.

I can remember Oprah saying more than once that if the universe is trying to tell you something, first it comes as a whisper, then a call, then a shout, and finally, if you haven't been paying attention, that's when the brick wall falls on your head. To all those who are struggling right now with difficult things, I wish for you the strength to get through it and at the same time the awareness to see the message contained within it.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Awesome post, Amy!! I think this is really true. It's the same for mistakes too. Everyone makes them and will make them, they are part of us, but what you do with them and how you move on, what they mean in your life is what is meaningful. This thought helps me to deal with the bad stuff and not get so upset about it. It is who I am and how I respond that are important.

So I have been thinking/dreaming/contemplating triathlons, not too seriously but certainly thinking about them, and a nice safe short indoor one just falls in my lap. Isn't that cool? Even if it sucks, I am going to savor every minute. :D

Amy said...

I saw that on your blog - that is so cool! And I am going to be cheering you on! Don't worry, it won't suck, it will just be one more challenge to enjoy tackling.

Sarah Kathryn said...

Shoot -- I made a whole post on this that got "eaten up"!!!

I will re-post, as I think this is a very important subject and has gotten me into eating differently than I *ever* have!