We are having a little winter snap here...they are even predicting possible snow on Easter Sunday! So to avoid the cold, I went to the gym to run on the treadmill. And I did 6 km in 40:10, which is more like it! But man, was my face red! I really hate how red my face gets when I run. Anyway, I've got seven weeks to the Ladies Run, so it's time to get serious again. Which means hill workouts, speed workouts and long runs. Yes, Jenny, as of today I've got a program!
During my run, I was trying to apply Chi Running by leaning forward and keeping my arms back. It's funny how similar it is to meditation in the sense that you have to keep gently bringing your attention back to what you are supposed to be focussing on. It is so easy to let your mind wander and "forget" what you are doing. This happens to me all the time while I am trying to meditate - my mind is going a million miles a minute, from one topic to another... wish I could run as fast as my mind can race!
I have bad news for those of you who read a previous post here about wine being vegan...unfortunately it technically isn't. I've been reading up on veganism, and discovered that not only is most wine filtered through various animal products, but some wines even have animal additives (like blood - eck). Now of course everyone who decideds to go vegan has to draw the line somewhere - for example, automobile tires are also produced with animal products and I'm sure lots of vegans still drive cars - and this has a great deal to do with your main reasons for it. Animal welfare, your own health, your family's health, the environment, climate change, or solidarity with the third world...these are all valid reasons.
Being new to this myself, I am still feeling my way and trying to figure everything out. For example today I went with my husband and oldest son for lunch at Thai House here in Leuven. They did have several vegetarian options on the menu, so I ordered stir-fried tofu with veggies. It was really good, but I am sure the broth that accompanied it was either fish or meat stock base, because it was exactly the same broth that came with my son's stir fry pork and veggies! But I enjoyed it and figured at least I am doing way better than before and am making a difference, even though it can never be perfect.
I do feel really good, have a lot more energy than I've had in a long time, and have even noticed that odd little skin issues I've had for a long time are starting to clear up all by themselves! So I think I will continue to do my best to eat vegan, and not beat myself up when for some reason beyond my control, I can't. Now if only eating vegan would stop my face getting all red when I run, then I'd be set!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good for you with your work out..the Kenyan's have the "Chi" style if you ever notice their running style. They also land on the ball or flat of their foot instead of the heel as most of us "unnaturals" do. That way they don't have the break in their stride as we do when we land on our heels first. Try it, it works, concentrate on the push off rather than the landing, much easier on the legs....
Happy Easter, I hope it doesn't snow on Sunday!
Great run! I am glad you are on your plan.
You are right about eating vegan. You just have to do your best, and not beat yourself up over small things out of your control. Colleen from the Compassionate Cooks podcast always says "Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do something."
Post a Comment