Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Oh So Quiet...

My two "littles" are gone this week, Stefaan and I waved them off in their busses this morning at the school. They are both off with their friends and teachers to spend a week away, Gillis at the seaside and Felix in the woods. And at the same time, I have my nose pressed up against the uncontestable fact that my "biggest" is indeed, growing up, in more ways than one! What is a mother to do?

Enjoy the silence. Treasure the quiet and the time to get long-put-on-hold things done... while at the same time realizing how precious the time you have with your children indeed is. Because you don't get very long with them, even though sometimes it seems like they'll be your babies forever.

It was a fabulous fall day today, sunny and bright, and just outside my back window the panorama of leaves changing color is breathtaking. I headed off to the gym on my bike to take advantage of the fresh air and the fact that the return (uphill) trip is a great leg and glute workout! I did 5k in 32 minutes on the treadmill and then did my strength workout. And headed home to a sea of time and the luxury to do just what I wanted to do.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

You'll be surprised how fast the week will go.

Sarah Kathryn said...

Enjoy! I'm impressed with the fact that you went ... sometimes when I have nothing but time, I tend to put off the workouts, because I have plenty of time!!

Enjoy the quiet - children are a blessing, but it can be a blessing to get some time from them and really begin to contemplate the joy that they bring to your life, when you miss them as PEOPLE and not just as offspring.

Alexandra said...

Thank you for stopping by to visit! It's nice meeting new folks! No children here, so my time is quiet lots of the time! I admire you Mother's and wonder how you do it! Enjoy your quiet time!