Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day of Thanks 12: High and Dry

This weekend Belgium experienced the worst flooding in many years and several cities in our province were completely under water, and there are areas where people are still unable to return to their homes. More than 2000 families were evacuated and there were 5 deaths.


In the meantime the rain has stopped but ground is so saturated that the water is just moving from one neighborhood to another, flooding more houses. One of the hardest hit areas is just north west of Brussels, where all my in-laws live; thankfully none of their homes were flooded.






I can't even imagine what it must be like to have a meter of water in your house, but I am so grateful that our house stayed dry, and I feel so bad for everyone whose didn't.
Everything in the flooded houses is ruined - all appliances, the furniture, clothes, the entire electrical installation. It's really bad.
The problem here is that Flanders is so built up with houses and roads that water doesn't have anywhere to go when there is too much of it. Which ends up being a disaster for people in certain areas.
My leg is feeling better so I am just doing a few easy taper runs this week in order to keep it that way. This morning, I ran in the cold and fog for about 40 minutes and 6 kilometers and it felt good. I am definitely looking forward to some Florida sunshine this weekend, I just wish I could bring some back to Belgium when I come back - we could really use it here.

11 comments:

Anne said...

How awful...thank goodness you and your family were spared.

Can't wait to read all about Florida! :)

Johann said...

That's really bad. Glad you are all OK!

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giorgio said...

I've just heard that in your province water doesn't have anywhere to go. I'm so sorry!
It's important that your house stayed dry.

Please, let's know other news about that ground completely covered with water. Be careful!

Lori said...

It's always amazing to me how people underestimate flood waters and lose their lives. It is very sad.

Ewa said...

I am glad you are OK but I feel it for the people who suffered losses. Take care and hope the weather will stay dry for a while so people can clean up.

Char said...

It's terrible what Mother Nature can do. We've had floods like that here in Brisbane and the devastation is enormous. I'm so glad that none of your family were affected.

Kim said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that is happening in your area. But happy that you have not been affected.

ajh said...

Floods are awful and do seem to be one of the natural disasters we get here. So glad you are okay.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I'm so glad that you and your family are okay. We had a bad flood here in May but we were okay too. It's so scary.

Fran said...

Unbelievable all this water, isn't it? In Limburg they had trouble too with it.

Nature is definitely changing.