Last year's Corrida was cancelled due to snow - but we were in Texas running a 5K in Fort Worth last New Year's Eve. Luckily, this year the weather here in Belgium is very mild - 10 C and very light rain. Perfect running weather, actually!
So this morning we put on our running shoes and walked downtown where we met up with my neighbor's oldest daughter, Karen, who was running her very first race ever! She was a bit nervous about whether or not she would be able to finish - I remember that feeling very well. She started out with us and when Stefaan pulled ahead in the crowd (it was packed - apparently 5000 people participated this year) Karen and I stuck together, chitchatting and running a nice easy pace, and most of all, enjoying ourselves!
We ended up finishing in 56 minutes, crossed the finish line and collected our bottle of wine - then we found Stefaan waiting for us, and got him to snap a picture. One of the nice things about this race, is when we are done all we have to do is walk home!
Here are the details from the Garmin:
The other nice thing about this race, is that since it is a slow news day, after we get home, we get to watch a report about it on the lunchtime news! You won't see us on this video, but there are some very nice shots of our beautiful city!
Have a very happy and safe New Year's Eve, everyone, and see you next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
The details from the Garmin show that the running track was in the city center. I think it was really pleasant that 8 km race. Glad you enjoyed that race around your beautiful town ... and got a bottle of wine :)
This year in Italy the weather is perfect for running too.
Happy new year!
Well done. I loved watching the video.
Congrats on a fun race! Happy New Year!
I must say that Europeans know have to do race give-aways. We're lucky if we get a few pieces of advertising and maybe an old magazine. Between you, Giorgio and Stefano if you ran a couple of races you'd be able to host a dinner party.
Happy New Year.
Did everyone get a bottle of wine? I'm doing a race tomorrow and I don't think I'll get anything.
Ha ha! I love the idea that Stefano, Giorgio and I could host a dinner party with all our race swag - that would be a lot of fun! Although I think what they get in Italy really takes the cake...here in Belgium it's kind of unusual to get a bottle of wine - and yes, everyone gets one. Gotta love the city of Leuven!
What a great way to bring in the new year, a 8K run. Happy New Year!
A bottle of wine upon finishing the race? What a great prize, enjoy the wine!
You should be proud that you ran the marathon after 40. Keep up the good work.
Perfect way to end the year Amy. Great result too. I love the races where I don't have to travel far or long.
Happy New Year!
Why not, it could be a great idea.... somewhere in Europe!!!
Post a Comment