Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Night is Pizza Night!


Well, I haven't done much this week - between having kids at home sick and feeling a bit under the weather myself, it was one of those weeks... Thank goodness it's Friday and we can look forward to a relatively easy weekend to recuperate.  And homemade pizza for dinner to start the weekend out right!
I often make homemade pizza on a Friday night.  It's just so much healthier than frozen pizzas and not really difficult at all if I remember to mix up my dough early enough in the afternoon.  I finally found a recipe that works for me and my family likes it a lot, so I thought I would share!  This makes three large pizzas (enough for two parents and three hungry teenage boys).  You will need to mix up your dough about 2-3 hours before you actually want to eat, but once you’ve done that, the rest is hardly any work at all.

For the dough:
25 g fresh yeast
2 tsp honey or rice syrup
500 g flour (you can do half whole wheat if you want)
Olive oil
2 tsp sea salt

For the sauce:
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste (about 3 T)
1 tsp each basil and oregano
a pinch of sugar, salt and black pepper

Toppings:
Your choice!  We do mozzarella cheese (3x  125g balls of fresh mozzarella for this recipe), fresh basil, sliced red pepper, sliced fresh tomato, a bit of salami and parma ham (for the meat eaters), rucola (added after baking), black olives, … be creative and use what you like!  You can also leave the cheese off and load it up with veggies if you want to avoid dairy products.

You’ll need three large pizza pans or cookie sheets. 


Crumble the yeast into a large bowl.  Add the honey, about 150 grams of the flour and 375 ml of warm water; mix well.  Cover the bowl with a towel and leave it in a warm place to rest for about 30 minutes, or until the yeast begins to work (it will foam up and increase in volume).


Add the rest of the flour and 1 T of olive oil and knead until you get a smooth dough.  Add water or additional flour as needed to get a soft, sticky dough that is not too dry.  Add the salt and mix well.  Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.


Grease the pizza pans with olive oil.  Divide the dough into three portions and spread each portion out in one of the pans.  Don’t worry if it doesn’t spread easily at first, press it out gently with your fingers and leave it to rest a few minutes from time to time, until you are able to press it to the edge of the pan.  This should take about 15 minutes. 


Cover each pan with a clean towel and let them rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 225 C (450 F).  Puree the tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and seasonings for the sauce.  Spread a thin layer of sauce on each pizza, and garnish with toppings as desired.  Bake the pizzas 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.  Cut into slices and enjoy!

12 comments:

Fran said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I hardly ever eat pizza, when we do we let it deliver at our house. I think I made it myself once and the deep-frozen ones I don't like.

carla said...

so glad youre feeling better now!
Id love to get my pizza loving husband to eat this--he's far too smitten with DOMINOS.


MizFit

Lily on the Road said...

Looks fabulous but way too much work for me (one person).

Hope you are feeling a little better...

Joy said...

I made my first entirely homemade pizzas last weekend! So very yummy. I used the America's Test Kitchen recipe. I used pesto instead of sauce, covered it in sliced tomatoes, black olives, capers and a mix of mozzarella and parmesan. The dough was easier than I thought, but it does take some time to rise. Totally worth it!

Char said...

Sick kids aren't fun - especially when you're feeling unwell yourself but still have to soldier on. I hope you're all feeling better soon.

And the pizza looks great! A lot better than chain store pizza.

Giorgio said...

Pizza for dinner on Friday is perfect :) The recipe with half whole wheat is better. I like pizza with olive oil, tomatoes, parmesan, mozzarella and basil leaves.

Glad you feel good :)
Have a wonderful weekend!

Karin said...

I hope your house gets well soon sick.
Your pizza dough recipe looks wonderful. I used to make my own pizza dough. It was fun and yummy too.
We usually order out now, but I'd love to try your recipe, and make my own crust.

Kim said...

Yay for a lowkey weekend to recuperate! I like that your pizza pic is sans cheese. That is my kind o' pie!

Anonymous said...

Glad you feel better.
I love pizza, my favorite dinner is pizza, pepsi and a cupcake with chocolate.

Ewa said...

Hope your weekend is going well and you are resting. You know, all that cooking is a lot of work.
I haven't had pizza in a long time but yours looks very tempting. Hmm... I had a good workout week, maybe... I shouldn't.. but it looks so delicious... I'll have to think about it... tempting... :)

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Yay! So glad you are feeling better. I make 5 pizzas every Friday. I do the dough, etc. It's 2nd nature now. I used to only make 4, but now my oldest daughter's boyfriend comes and made it necessary to add a 5th.

Bert said...

Looks great and sounds like a recipe I'd like to try one of these days!