Monday, January 30, 2012

Strike, Snow, 500 Calories, and Soup

Belgium is on strike today - no trains, no metro, no school, no mail (although our mail carrier, who must be a rebel, just delivered to our box - unfortunately it was a pile of bills)...Except for my husband who had to get up early and drive the car to Brussels instead of taking the train as usual, we all slept in.  What a luxury on a Monday morning!  And when I woke up and finally came downstairs and pulled up the shutters - what a surprise - it is snowing!  There is a very light dusting on the sidewalks out front and the patio out back.  I was debating about waking up my boys to tell them about the snow, but decided that my three teenagers would probably rather sleep in.  So I am enjoying the quiet all by myself.

Yesterday it was so cold and gray out but I have been so lax about my running over the past few weeks that there was no way I was going to skip my run.  So I decided to go to the gym where I could get nice and sweaty without all those layers.  My goal was simple - run until the treadmill told me I had burned 500 calories!  I've definitely gotten slower - it took me 52 minutes and 7.6 kilometers to do it, including three short walk breaks.  But it felt good - as it always does.

It is still snowing so perhaps I will brave the cold today and go for a short run in the snow before it all melts away.  And then I am going to get a pot of this soup going on my stove:  pasta e fagioli, which has become one of my favorites for the winter - it is so yummy and comforting and warming....mmmmm! This is my simple version, based on Mark Bittman's recipe.

1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 t. dried rosemary
1/2 t. dried oregano or summer savory if you have it
1/4 t. dried thyme
2 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I like to use cannelini and borlotti beans)
8 cups of vegetable broth
1/4 pound of small pasta
salt and pepper

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat in a soup pot until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, herbs and beans and continue to sauté until everything is warm. Add broth and bring to a gentle boil, then let simmer for about ten minutes. Finally add the pasta, simmer until the pasta is al denté, about another 10 to 15 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some good rustic bread to sop up the juices and enjoy!

14 comments:

Ewa said...

It is early morning here, very early morning. Normally I would think of coffee but not this morning because I am thinking of... soup. :)

Is it a one day strike?

I miss those quiet snowy days. And yes, I think you are right about teens probably preferring sleep over snow.

Amy said...

Ewa, you must get up even earlier than my mom!
Yes, it is a one day strike - thankfully.

Bert said...

That soup sounds really good, will have to try it; almost cool enough here for it, no snow though! And no strikes.

Liz said...

It's suddenly got a lot colder here too - no snow yet thank goodness! I'll check with Pete and get the name of that website for you when he gets home from work.

J said...

That soup sounds delicious!!

Char said...

They timed that strike well. Except, I guess, for your husband. I hope he enjoys driving in the snow.

Giorgio said...

Sorry for the strike. This week in Italy truck drivers are on strike too. As a consequence, retail prices (such as fruits, vegetables and milk) are increasing.

I love "Pasta e fagioli" and your simple version is really interesting. I sometimes eat it in summer too, cooked with fresh beans!

ajh said...

Yum That sounds delicious! We had some very good sweet and sour chicken tonight that cooked in the crock pot all day. It was great to arrive home to the smell and dinner made.

Karin said...

Sounds like a wonderful morning, sleeping in, and then watching it snow. I only dream of sleeping in with a toddler.

Nice recipe, I will give it a try.

Amy said...

Karen, just wait til your son is a teenager, you won't be able to get him out of bed on the weekends!

Fran said...

I can't remember we had a strike like this ever with so many departments on strike.

We had a little bit of snow too as you know but I'm not a fan of it but you know that too :)

Good for you for running on the dreadmill. This is the only week I would have used the gym to run on the treadmill but since it's ended I'll skip my weekday run.

Johann said...

Great for getting that run in. I would love to run in snow one day. We don't get snow here in Johannesburg. It snows once in 10 years but usually lasts only a very short time.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I love pasta fagoli (sp?) and make it frequently! Glad you got a workout in. I think I am ready to try running again now that my back is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Pasta e fagioli, italian famous dish: source of energy for runners. I like your version.
Sorry for the strike. We had 3 ships berthed because of the drivers' strike.