Friday, March 2, 2012

A Good Start to the Weekend

Our doctor's visit yesterday confirmed that my son is just dealing with a bad case of the flu, and nothing more serious.  Which was a relief (I am the same way, Diane, it makes me nervous when my kids are sick, too).  And when he woke up this morning he said he felt a lot better than yesterday, so that is good.

Having a child home sick, even a low maintenance 17-year-old, does change the flow of my week.  But not as much as when I had toddlers and I have to say I am quite proud of myself for having gotten to the gym three times this week for three really good workouts.  And still hang out with my son (we have been watching the first season of "Brothers and Sisters" together and we are totally addicted).  Having teenagers is awesome!

This morning I was a bit in a rush to get to the gym in time to get weights and the elliptical in before Body Balance class started.  Then I remembered the car was nearly out of gas and I would have to stop at the gas station first - OR - just bike over there.  You know what I did, right?  It actually felt great to get on my bike.  It's not cold at all out right now, and I was thinking about how easy it is to get a little habit going (like driving to the gym) when you have a good reason for it (like really cold weather), and then keep on doing the habit, even when the reason is gone.    

So then I get to the gym and find out Body Balance class is cancelled because the teacher is sick.  (The flu is really going around here right now.)  Hmmm...what to do?  I was kind of at a loss for a minute, then I decided to get a 30 minute run in first, then upper and lower body weights, and then 25 minutes on the elliptical.  I finished off with abs and stretching.  The bike ride back home was very slow but satisfying.  A good way to start the weekend!  Even better with a listen to Arid's latest single in a lovely pared-down version:

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Hope you stay healthy!

Liz said...

Glad your son is ok. How great to be able to watch good tv together! When my kids are home they just want to watch cartoons...

Jill said...

Sorry your son is sick. My daughter is 11 and has been sick. We have been hanging out together watching Once Upon a Time. I hate that she is sick- but having the cuddle time is really nice! I hope your son feels better soon!!

ajh said...

Who is your favorite B+S character? Mine is Scotty but I don't think he is in the first season.

Amy said...

Yes, Scotty is in the first season as Kevin's date/possible boyfriend. At the moment my favorite character is Kevin, though!

Char said...

You must have exceptional children. In my experience teenagers can be the spawn from hell interspersed with being mildly awesome. Lucky you.

Bert said...

It's been so many years since we've had children in the house I am finding it difficult to remember just how tough it was, when they were sick. You seem to be taking it in stride though - important to keep looking after yourself too!