Forgive me hamstrings for I have sinned...it has been two weeks since I last did a yoga workout and you and my right gluteus maximus certainly let me know it today!
I could feel it even before we started running this morning, my right leg felt really tight just under my behind and along the whole back of my leg. The further and further we got with our loops around the lake the tighter and tighter it felt until I felt like I was just on the verge of cramping up. So I just kept my pace slow and steady and and promised myself that I would get right back on the yoga bandwagon tonight. I have simply started to get a bit complacent about that and my usual stretching...time to turn things back around! Obviously it does make a big difference.
Other than the tight leg, the run went fine - Stefaan sped up for the last half loop and got ahead of me, but I continued along and ended up doing the 9 loops (12.6 km) in exactly the same time I ran the last time we did 9: 85 minutes, which makes me very happy. We also changed up our usual routine by doing the first three loops without stopping (4.2 km) which took us 28 minutes. Then we did the remaining 6 in sets of two.
Next Sunday my plan says to run 11 times around the lake, which will be our longest run to date (15.4 km). Aside from getting my yoga in, I plan to really focus on good food, good sleep and good stretching this week in order to be in tip top shape for that run. It all counts!
And on another positive note, my youngest son's best friend's mom, Griet, ran a half marathon in Etten-Leur (Nederland) last Sunday and she finished in 2 hours and 4 minutes! Wow! Way to go, Griet! Her advice to me was to make sure we start out slow and don't get swept away by the crowd into running too fast - she and her group actually made this mistake and she said her last six kilometers were pretty tough. All the runners she had passed at the beginning ended up passing her at the end! But it is still a great accomplishment and she can be proud.
Total kilometers run this week: 22.55
Total year to date: 530.25
I could feel it even before we started running this morning, my right leg felt really tight just under my behind and along the whole back of my leg. The further and further we got with our loops around the lake the tighter and tighter it felt until I felt like I was just on the verge of cramping up. So I just kept my pace slow and steady and and promised myself that I would get right back on the yoga bandwagon tonight. I have simply started to get a bit complacent about that and my usual stretching...time to turn things back around! Obviously it does make a big difference.
Other than the tight leg, the run went fine - Stefaan sped up for the last half loop and got ahead of me, but I continued along and ended up doing the 9 loops (12.6 km) in exactly the same time I ran the last time we did 9: 85 minutes, which makes me very happy. We also changed up our usual routine by doing the first three loops without stopping (4.2 km) which took us 28 minutes. Then we did the remaining 6 in sets of two.
Next Sunday my plan says to run 11 times around the lake, which will be our longest run to date (15.4 km). Aside from getting my yoga in, I plan to really focus on good food, good sleep and good stretching this week in order to be in tip top shape for that run. It all counts!
And on another positive note, my youngest son's best friend's mom, Griet, ran a half marathon in Etten-Leur (Nederland) last Sunday and she finished in 2 hours and 4 minutes! Wow! Way to go, Griet! Her advice to me was to make sure we start out slow and don't get swept away by the crowd into running too fast - she and her group actually made this mistake and she said her last six kilometers were pretty tough. All the runners she had passed at the beginning ended up passing her at the end! But it is still a great accomplishment and she can be proud.
Total kilometers run this week: 22.55
Total year to date: 530.25
1 comment:
Sorry to hear about your sore muscles. I am glad you were able to complete your run with a good average pace. I agree that there are a few pieces to the puzzle for running besides the obvious (running). Stretching, cross-training, rest, and nutrition all contribute.
Post a Comment