Friday, November 9, 2007

Stormy Stormy Night

Last night we had an unbelievably ferocious storm blow through Belgium. The shutters were banging and shaking all night long and even this morning it was blustery and raining. It even snowed already in the parts of Wallonia that are high altitude!

Poor Florian had to bike the 4 kilometers to school in it, but I dropped Stefaan at the station and then drove the two younger guys to school. They've been driven three times this week, that's a lot! My good neighbor Kristel came to check in on me on Wednesday after she had seen me driving the boys to school two days in a row - she was worried I was injured or something and wanted to know if I was okay and able to do my training! I was surprised and touched by her concern. I can't wait til things calm down a bit and we can go for our long delayed lunch out together, it's been ages since we've been able to get together.

The thing about the weather that is worrying to me is that we have to do our longest run to date this Sunday (15.4 km) and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the weather reports are wrong and that this bad weather does not continue through Sunday! Going to the gym and running on the "dreadmill" (I love Amy from Runner's Lounge's knickname for it!) is not even an option, because even if I could make myself run on it for the nearly two hours it will take...unfortunately the gym will be closed for the national holiday of Armistice, November 11. So if anyone has any useful tips about running in really bad weather, let me know!

Today I did my speed workout (yes, on the dreadmill at the gym): it was 8 times 2 minutes at fast tempo, plus 2 minutes recovery, and it went fine. My left hip was a bit achy but nothing too bad and I managed to do 5.2 km in 35 minutes.

2 comments:

J said...

I hate when the weather won't cooperate. If it is really terrible, could you do the run on Monday at the gym? (I didn't know if they'd be open on Monday.) Or maybe you want to make a route from your house, so if it clears up at all you could get going as soon as possible? Yes, these are some of the challenges we have to face. Mark had to run during a tropical storm when he was training for Chicago. He didn't wear a shirt because he figured it would only make him wetter and heavier. Of course, in the summer, if you are male, you have that option. Do you have any kind of lightweight rain jacket?

J said...

Sorry also to hear about the politics in Belgium! I hope everything works out- it sounds very stressful.