Sunday, April 27, 2008

When is a long run long?

Answer: when you have to carry a sports drink. I realized last week that I was fading by the end of my long run, and then it hit me, Oh yeah, these are the kinds of distances where I have to start carrying stuff with me - ugh. I dread putting on my water belt. But today I did and it does make such a difference, it was worth it.

We had perfect weather to run in today, sunny and warm but with a cool breeze...we did eight laps around the lake (11.2 km) in an easy 72 minutes. Stefaan even managed to hang in there the whole time and his knee only started bothering him slightly at the end, which is great news.

Only one more long run around the lake and then it is the Ladies Run! I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully the weather will be just as nice then as it was today.

3 comments:

J said...

Great run! Yes, the sports drink. I think my cut-off is an hour. Anything under an hour, and I don't take the sports drink.

Lily on the Road said...

Yes, you really need to carry some "fuel" with you ... even if it is 6K, the heat, wind, humidity or dryness all play a factor with your running...even if you feel hydrated at the beginning, you could be losing fluids....

I'll get off my soapbox now!! LOL

Nancy said...

I know exactly what you mean. I try to go with the hour rule too, but the other day I completely died after 3.7 miles. I still had 1.3 to go and it was miserable. I guess the sudden hot temps and not being very hydrated to begin with really caught up with me. Will I ever learn the hydration lesson once and for all? :D