Early this morning, Karen, Beth and I headed off to Kortrijk to do the Ladies Run Series 5K there. This was where I did my very first 5K ever in 2006, the year I started running. And today was going to be their very first 5K, so I was really excited for them!
Our plan was to stay together, and run at a comfortable pace for everyone. Karen had never run a full 30 minutes before without stopping for a walk break, but she was up for the challenge. I knew Beth could go for at least 45 minutes without stopping since we ran together last week, and I knew the pace that was comfortable for her.
At the start of the race it was hard not to want to go faster, as it felt like we were getting passed by everyone. But the field cleared out and we settled into a comfortable rhythm. Karen and Beth did great! And I kept my eye on my Garmin and made sure we stayed in the right pace.
The course, as so many of the recreational races here in Belgium, was actually shorter than the advertised distance! We ended up crossing the finish line in 34 minutes after just over 4.5 km. But Karen and Beth were really pleased with their performance and were glad we did it. I was proud of both of them!
We were really lucky with the weather - rain was predicted but we only had a couple of drops while we were waiting to start the race, and the sun never really came out in full force, which was a blessing, because if it had, it would have been way too hot. I stopped doing this race two years ago because it was always so beastly hot to run. We still were pretty sweaty when we finished, though!
After a welcome shower and a little snack we headed home, where my husband took a picture of the three of us with our medals:

After a welcome shower and a little snack we headed home, where my husband took a picture of the three of us with our medals:
11 comments:
Lovely photo. How nice to run with friends!
A bit of perserverence & I seem to have resolved my commenting issue. Nice Run with friends Amy - you all look so happy x
What fun. Good job sticking with your friends.
Well done to both the racing virgins.Especially to Karen for her longest ever continuous run.
Very well done girls!
Glad that the weather was good for running yesterday.
Nothing better than hanging out (or running) with friends.
I love the pic.
Well done all of you! Seems that everything worked out just right. Now to plan the next race the three of you will do together.
Congrats, seems like a nice time was had by all, judging by the pic!
What a nice way to run a 5 km with friends!
I started running in 2006 too!
Have a nice weekend!
A very good team. Congrats to all of you.
Awesome! It's so fun to run first races with friends and help them out! And I love that you got medals. Boo on the short course, but oh well, right? :)
Post a Comment