Those of you who have been reading my blog for the last couple years know that I usually take advantage of the summer months to tackle a big exercise program. Last year I did New Rules of Lifting for Women, the year before Body for Life.
As I am thinking about what my plan will be this year (yes, I have some ideas!) I just read this inspiring quote from Kirsten Armstrong's yoga teacher on her blog:
"We tend to think that summer is about letting go, chilling out, time off, taking a break. And it can be that, but it's also about using the heat to fuel change. Summer is a perfect time to explore your edge. We do this thing, all of us, we get so close to the point of real growth – and then we shrink back. We get to the uncomfortable edge, and we pull back. Always getting close to the change we need, peering at it, but not fully going the distance to make it happen. I want to encourage you to put the Soul back in Solstice, to think this summer about the growth you really want and need in your life and go there, don't shrink back. We have to be willing to stay with the fire, the discomfort, if we want to generate the heat."
Perfect! I have been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish this summer and I have found the fitness program I plan to do, starting the first Monday of July: the new Matt Roberts book, I Will Make You Fit Fast. This is a 12 week program and I am really enthused about doing it. More on this once I get going. For now I am finishing out the workouts I previously planned for June (only two more gym workouts to go!).
And on the food front, I am committed to doing the Eat To Live program this summer and see how that works out for me. I already eat a vegetarian, mainly vegan diet, but things have gotten sloppy in the past year or so (wine? chocolate? chips?), and I am ready to clean up my diet and aim to lose those last ten pounds I have been struggling with. I will keep you posted!
As I am thinking about what my plan will be this year (yes, I have some ideas!) I just read this inspiring quote from Kirsten Armstrong's yoga teacher on her blog:
"We tend to think that summer is about letting go, chilling out, time off, taking a break. And it can be that, but it's also about using the heat to fuel change. Summer is a perfect time to explore your edge. We do this thing, all of us, we get so close to the point of real growth – and then we shrink back. We get to the uncomfortable edge, and we pull back. Always getting close to the change we need, peering at it, but not fully going the distance to make it happen. I want to encourage you to put the Soul back in Solstice, to think this summer about the growth you really want and need in your life and go there, don't shrink back. We have to be willing to stay with the fire, the discomfort, if we want to generate the heat."
Perfect! I have been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish this summer and I have found the fitness program I plan to do, starting the first Monday of July: the new Matt Roberts book, I Will Make You Fit Fast. This is a 12 week program and I am really enthused about doing it. More on this once I get going. For now I am finishing out the workouts I previously planned for June (only two more gym workouts to go!).
And on the food front, I am committed to doing the Eat To Live program this summer and see how that works out for me. I already eat a vegetarian, mainly vegan diet, but things have gotten sloppy in the past year or so (wine? chocolate? chips?), and I am ready to clean up my diet and aim to lose those last ten pounds I have been struggling with. I will keep you posted!
And while I am working on these two things this summer, I will try to remind myself not to shrink back, and stay with the discomfort, right?
8 comments:
I love the idea of starting a new fitness and eating routine in the summer. I actually started to get my act together in April, so maybe it is an intuitive thing. I'm going to check out that fitness plan, thanks!
Good luck with your goals. I admire your determination.
I'm totally the opposite - it's Winter that inspires me. Once Summer hits here the heat just saps me of the will to live and as soon as it starts cooling down my energy returns.
Two great new plans Amy and I can't wait to hear how it works for you. After your recommendation I followed a Matt Roberts program a while ago (didn't finish it) and so far it's the best I followed although the workouts were a bit long.
I think Summer is also great to start new plans because we usually have more energy during Summer and by the time Winter gets here again we are used to the changed habits.
Good luck with it!
By the way you asked how we take Bella with us on a bike: in a basket behind me. I'll post a pic in my next post.
Great quotation! You will do great of that I'm sure...you are one determined woman! :)
A very good idea to spend the summer in a different way. Usually this is a "lazy" season and I agree with your plan to make more.
Good luck with your goals.
What an inspired idea to tackle something new each summer! I may have to copy that one!
In Central Italy the weather is hot too!
Good luck with your Summer plan!
Post a Comment