Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back!

I haven't forgotten you all!  Yes, it's been ten days since I last posted - things have been a bit crazy - some of it very good, some of it less good (life has a funny way of being like that - ups and downs, right?).  I know I promised a bit more about the Ladies Run - here is a picture of the medal and the great swag that we got in our goodie bag:


I actually really like the medal!  The shirt was nice too (it says "Running is Me-Time"), but I ended up giving it to my neighbor's daughter who has just started running - I have plenty of tech shirts in my closet and I knew she would enjoy having it.

Probably the coolest thing about racing in my home town were all the familiar faces I got to see.  People I know well, people I know just from seeing them around, ladies from my gym, and even some famous people!  It was so exciting to see Gella Vandecaveye in person - she is a famous Belgian judoka who won both silver (1996) and bronze (2000) for Belgium in the olympics.   She also ran the 10K here in Leuven - and she was fast - she finished in 45 minutes! 

I don't know what happened to Kim Clijsters who was one of the people who were supposed to be there when the race was first announced, but that's okay - we all know that Kim is pretty darn busy.  I guess she's like a lot of us these days - sometimes life just keeps you so busy you have to put some things on the sidelines for a short time.  Even blogging...(mea culpa)...

Have a great day!



9 comments:

Fran said...

Nice loot after the ladies run Amy. I'm always a bit shy running in my own town because I'm a slow runner and don't like it when people see me as one of the last to finish. In other towns people don't know me and I don't care.

Have a great day too.

Johann said...

Good to have you back! Nice swag indeed. My sister was the South African Judo champion 3 years in a row, but that is many years ago. I also did Judo but did not continue when I left school.

Liz said...

I wondered where you were! It must be great to do a race in your home town and have so much support. The one time I had the chance to do a race that went through my little town, I was injured and had to DNS - and now we've moved!

Welcome back to Blogland!

Giorgio said...

Great to hear you're back blogging and ... getting that beautiful loot after the ladies run :)
Have nice runs!

Kim said...

Awesome awesome loot! What a neat medal! :)

I have never got to see an elite athlete speak at any of the races I have done. That would be so cool :)

Char said...

Kim probably did what we're all tempted to do at one time or another - turn off the alarm and roll over.

You got a very impressive bag of loot. I rarely even bother with mine any more. They all tend to be brochures for discounts on stuff that I'd never use.

Amy said...

Oh, I hate getting those bags full of flyers - what a waste of paper! This one was fairly unusual, but I think it might be because it was an inaugural race.

Anonymous said...

Great loot! You was very kind to give your neighbors' daughter the t-shirt.

Darlene said...

That sounds like an awesome race. I was hoping you'd meet Kim. I heard she is retiring from tennis after the US Open.