Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Trying Something New

Yesterday I headed into Brussels on the train for a few errands and a lunch date with my good friend Aisling...  Our plan was to meet up at a new Ethiopian restaurant not far from Place St. Catherine, Toukoul, which had gotten a very enthusiastic review in a local newspaper recently.


Neither one of us had ever had Ethiopian food, so we ordered the vegetarian platter for two, which came with four or five different things, mostly chickpea and lentil based stews (some very spicy), a bit of salad, sauteed mushrooms and some spinach.  It comes on a big flat plate, and is served with rolled up teff pancakes.  We had no idea how to go about eating it, so the waitress demonstrated it for me - you tear off a piece of pancake which you use to scoop up a little bit of a few different stews and then you pop it into your mouth.  She kind of took me by surprise when she popped the demonstration bite into my mouth!  (I'm afraid I might have accidentally chomped on her finger!)

Once we got the hang of it, we really enjoyed ourselves!  Believe it or not, we polished off the entire platter between the two of us.  The restaurant itself was comfortable and relaxing - a great place for us to sit and catch up with each other's lives, and the service was friendly.  And the food was delicious... I'd definitely go back!

12 comments:

Fran said...

Never had it either but it sounds like it's worth to try.

Ewa said...

That plate looks sinful.
It's been a while since I had Ethiopian food but I really like it. Now I am not very graceful eating with my fingers though. Takes practice, I guess.

Johann said...

Looks very nice indeed. I've never had Ethiopian food but if I get the chance I will certainly try it.

Lori said...

Yum! I ate Ethiopian food once at a little hole in the wall in New Orleans and it was tasty. I love being adventurous with food!

Kim said...

I think it's so fun to eat this way! I tried Ethiopian food twice in Evanston and really liked it :)

Char said...

I bet that being hand-fed by a waitress was a first for you. The food sounds interesting and looks quite healthy.

Char said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Yes, it definitely was a first!

Liz said...

Wow, that looks and sounds delicious. You seem to have some great restaurants around you!

lbb said...

Hi Amy! Wow that sounds and looks delicious! Those foods seem right up my alley!
Take care and thanks for your comment on my blog!
xo

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

It looks and sounds amazing. Glad you had fun and got to try something new!

Anonymous said...

I have never had Ethiopian food and I think I will never had even if I trust you when you say that it is delicious. I have many limits on food: I don't like seafood, chickens, wine, beer ecc.
Yes, my fault.