I got a lot of biking in yesterday, but not my run, so unusually for me, I needed to get a run in on a Wednesday. It was supposed to be 40 minutes with hills...but as I walked home from dropping the boys at school I was wondering to myself how I was going to manage that when just lowering myself into a chair is difficult! Can one actually run on lunge-tortured legs? I really was not sure this was going to work, especially when just walking I could still really feel how tight and painful my inner thighs are!
I am happy to report that it went (to my great surprise) fine! My legs did seem to tire more quickly than usual but for the rest they didn't bother me at all except on the downhill parts - which are always tough for me. It did take me slightly longer to finish my 6.2 km route; 44 minutes. But that's okay. So I guess running muscles are not exactly the same ones you need for lunges? Or is it just because they are used to running but not used to lunging? Hmmm.
So I wasn't exactly poetry in motion (she blinded me with science!) during my run, but the Daily Om did have a nice little reminder this week about how important it is to include movement in your life:
Poetry in Motion: Moving Our Body
Our bodies love movement... If you are feeling stuck, ready to release old energy, or eager to feel more alive, try moving your body. By giving your muscles a chance to do what they were created for, you may find that all areas of your body and your life benefit as well.
Many times we can be so busy that we forget moving our body is even an option. Some of us remain seated at our computer for hours every day or rush from task to task ... When we are caught up in crossing items off our to-do lists, we tend to neglect all the opportunities there are to enjoy our bodies in the process of living. If this is true for you, begin looking for opportunities to move.... See if you can sense your bones providing graceful support, your muscles and tendons expanding and contracting in just the right measure, your lungs changing pace to fill deeply with fresh air. Movement is a vital celebration of life. It is a way to proclaim your own existence and relish in the joy of being alive. Today, and into the future, give yourself the gift of your body in motion.
I often find that the Daily Om has something pertinent to say! www.dailyom.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
my legs were killing me yesterday after my workout on Monday. Darla reminded me to use my Flex cream and it helped.
SCIENCE!
Sometimes the running makes lunge-tortured legs actually feel a little better. I think because you are increasing the circulation it helps to recover the muscles. (Or something.)
Post a Comment