Thursday, July 23, 2009

BFL Day 46: those lunges killed me!

My legs, to be more specific, from the inside of my knees going all the way up my thighs and continuing to my rear, are killing me! I know it's from the lunges yesterday. That's why I hate lunges so much! But maybe I should start liking them more, because obviously they work.

I had to do my HIIT run today, but with the way my legs were feeling I was really doubting if I could do it. I walked for five minutes first to warm up, and then I got started. It was tough, but I did manage to hit the speeds I had planned to do. But my legs just felt spent, and heavy. In the end, I dropped the one extra interval I had added last week but I still managed to hit the high point at the end of the last interval I ran today. I was so glad when I could slow down!

I think I will be very achy the rest of today - luckily it's upper body weights tomorrow, so my legs will get some rest before running again on Sunday.

The funny thing is, when it feels physically hard, I think the biggest obstacle is in my mind, because I do realize that my body is capable of doing the workout, even when it feels hard. It's my brain that keeps telling me I can't. We were watching the Tour de France yesterday afternoon, seeing the cyclists pushing, pushing up the mountains; I was imagining what battles must be going on in their minds as they keep themselves going. Mental discipline is so key.

No comments: