Friday, April 1, 2011

A good start

I met my friend Anne out at the lake this morning. She is new to running and thought that planning to meet up with me would help her be motivated to get out there. I brought along a "Start to Run" program for her, and a challenge! Ten weeks from now is the Kortrijk Ladies Run 5K - this was my very first race ever in 2006 and I told Anne if she wants, I would run it with her for her first race and help her get ready for it. In my opinion, there is nothing more motivating than being signed up for a race.

I think she was a bit overwhelmed, so we went around the lake once together, running 2 minutes and walking 2 minutes. She did really well! After stretching for a few minutes we planned to meet up again next week, when she will tell me if we are going to sign up for the race or not...

After that I did a loop on my own around the lake and then ran back home - altogether, including the one time around the lake with Anne, I ran 9.2 km in 63 minutes. Not bad for a gray and gloomy Friday morning.

Finally, thanks so much for all your kind comments on yesterday's post. You guys are so thoughtful! **hugs**

9 comments:

Johann said...

Glad the rain stayed away for you to get out today. Signing up for a race is the best to do. It is always nice to get someone into running and then help them through their first race. She will do well with you to guide her. Have a good weekend!

J said...

Great job motivating Anne, coach! :) That would be fun to do the race together.

Marcelle said...

Wonderful that you are helping someone else to get going with what has become our passion..Running...soon she will be a passionate runner and be so thankful to you for helping her.
Its 18 degrees here, cloudy and grey as well............
Have not worked out yet today.
Had to get up early, do my hair and make up and now with hubby being a way last night I want to look good when he gets home and not like a drowned rat...so going to do an upper body Kettlebell workout instead.

Fran said...

You're so sweet that you went out with Anne for her first run. I think she should try the 5K. It's only 10 weeks of training (perfect for the Start to run program) and she can always decided after that if she wants to keep on running.

Signing up for a race with my co-workers is what got me start running again. For me signing up keeps me going out for that run on days I don't really want to run.

Darlene said...

Sounds like you are a great coach.

Anonymous said...

You are very kind to help your friend.
I am sure you will run a great race together. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. I just found your blog via your comment on Lori's site. I love it, have bookmarked and will visit often. So interesting to read your posts. Have a good weekend.

Amy said...

Hi Roz - thanks! And welcome!

Char said...

I can see through your evil plan. You're training up another running companion! Way to go.