Friday, September 16, 2011

Something new!

From Peer Trainer: Today's tip of the day is to stop beating yourself up. Focus on the good stuff you have done. All of the small, good habits that you've started to incorporate into your life should be celebrated as accomplishments.

Well, I tried a new class today at the gym. It's called Body Balance and I was excited to try it because it was billed as a combination of yoga, tai chi and Pilates. I am very familiar with yoga and I did tai chi for over a year a long time ago and I loved it. I've only done about 5 Pilates classes, though, so I'm not too familiar with that. But I was looking forward to being able to do a class like this right in my gym. I had to stop taking yoga classes a few years ago because I simply had too much on my plate and something had to give. I do my best to do yoga at home, but it is difficult to get into a good routine with it, because I find when I am at home it is very hard to set aside the time for it. There is always something else that seems to take priority! So it's hit and miss most of the time except when I do something like the Yoga Journal 21-day challenge I did at the beginning of the year.

Anyhow, I got to the gym early enough to get my upper body strength training done first and I even had time to get a short interval run in on the treadmill (12 minutes but better than nothing, right?) before heading over to the big room where they hold the group classes.

I was surprised at how many people (all women) turned out to try this new class - the room was full!

I have to say I enjoyed the class a lot even though it doesn't compare at all to a traditional yoga class. First of all they played loud music throughout the hour. It was calm music but still, for me, a bit too loud.

Each song focused on a different type of move: there was a warm up song with arm movements (like in tai chi) and forward bends, a song with a sun salutation, a song with lunges and warriors, a song for planks and Pilates-like ab work (I found this to be the hardest part), a song for hip openers and twists, etc. At the end there was even a final relaxation song! It felt very weird to be lying down and resting at the gym, but it was nice.

Even though I would prefer a more traditional type yoga class, I am happy my gym is offering something different for once, and I am excited to be able to get some kind of yoga in every week in the convenient location of my regular gym. I also don't have to pay anything extra to do it! And it worked pretty well after my upper body weights, too. Next week I will have to miss it unfortunately because our plumbers are coming to install some new radiators, but I think after that I will want to attend this class every week.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Fran said...

I love that tip!

I have never tried bodybalance, one of my previous gyms had it but I never went. It's a Les Mills class which explains the music.
I'm glad you liked it!

Great workout today Amy.

Ewa said...

That class sounds like fun, but I hear you on the loud music. And it is not only exercise classes, either the world population is going deaf or there is some conspiracy to make us go deaf. :)
Have a great weekend with some nice and quiet music to enjoy.

Giorgio said...

Glad you like it!
Have a great weekend!

Karin said...

Oh,that new class sounds WONDERFUL!
Glad you enjoyed it.

Char said...

It's always good to try something new. Plus if you're more likely to do it at the gym AND don't have to pay anything extra it's all good.

ajh said...

You are more adventurous than I am trying new things in your training. Sounds great for you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post to know better these activities that I have never tried.
My problem is the lack of time, for this reason I want to retire as soon as possible.
Glad you liked the class.