Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Too tired for the gym

My husband has been travelling a lot and my main problem with that is that I tend to not sleep very well when he is away. It's like I feel like I have to be a lot more alert or something, being the only adult in the house. It's silly, really, because it's not like he is Mr. Super Alert himself in the niddle of the night when he is home, but there you go - I guess I'm just weird like that!
So it was a long, wakeful night last night (the last number I remember seeing on my alarm clock was 3 am) and this morning I felt groggy. The idea of slogging off to the gym just didn't appeal to me. My body felt like it wanted yoga. And the free yoga class at Yoga Today this week was hip openers, which sounded like just the thing for me and my tight runner's hips. So I got my yoga mat out and set up in front of my laptop and got started. It was actually a pretty tough class but it felt really, really good.
Then, since I had saved time by not going to the gym, I made some healthy muffins with grated carrot, zucchini and apples based on the "Harvest Bread" recipe just posted at Happy Herbivore blog (which you can find down on the left on my sidebar). Don't you just love it when you see a recipe that looks good and you just so happen to have everything you need in the house? I had a half of a zucchini sitting in my fridge just waiting for this recipe! It will be a nice surprise for my kids when they get home from school. And one of them tasted delicious with my coffee just now...

7 comments:

Cindy said...

the muffins sound good. May have to try them.

Fran said...

I never have trouble sleeping when hub isn't home, might be because he travelled a lot when we just moved in together.

Great substitute for not going to the gym: do some yoga.

I'm tired too since Sunday. Hope that I feel better soon. I've asked a bit too much from my body I think.

Johann said...

I generally sleep very well but don't always get the right amount of hours. I think the yoga was a perfect substitute. The muffins sound really good.

Lucy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said...

I'm happy to have stumbled upon your blog and can't wait to try some of your yummy looking recipes! Great job making smart choices even when you don't 'feel' like it! Blessings from Lucy in Kansas City! www.ithinkithoiughticould.blogspot.com

ajh said...

Yum that sounds delicious! Hope you sleep better. Your reasoning makes sense to me.

Char said...

I always sleep better when me husband's not around. I gues yours isn't a snorer.

Good idea to change up your routine and do yoga. It sounds like it was just what your body was needing.