Sunday, September 16, 2007

Buckeye Alley

What I now call "Buckeye Alley" is a treacherous place to run. It's a portion of the path around the lake lined by wild chestnut trees, and the buckeyes are strewn all over the path right now, along with leaves and their broken prickly hulls to camouflage them. The buckeyes are nearly as big as a golf ball and I keep imagining what would happen to my ankle if I run and hit one right on stride...so I keep my eyes on the path. We did 5 loops today (7 km) and it took us 44 minutes, which is pretty good. The weather is gorgeous, it's going to be a lovely fall day.
This evening I plan to try out the yoga portion of my long run day routine for the half marathon training. I spent a few hours last week going through Light on Yoga and I think I've got a good selection of poses now that will support the running (numbers refer to pose number in LoY):
  • Forward Seated Bend (67)
  • Seated Angle (66)
  • Revolved Head to Knee (60)
  • Bound Angle (44)
  • Sitting Lateral Twist (114)
  • Dove or Pigeon (184)
  • Lying Down foot/toe sequence (108)
  • Shoulderstand (87)
  • Plough (91)
  • Camel (16)
  • Up dog (32)
  • Down dog (33)
  • Cat stretch
  • Virasana (40)
  • Forward seated bend (67)
  • Corpse

This selection is the Sunday evening gentle stretching session; on Tuesday I plan to do a more vigorous session after my easy run. I'll post those poses too.

5 comments:

J said...

That's your easy yoga day? It looked pretty challenging to me! I am pretty sure I could do that last one, you know, the corpse pose. Maybe that's why Mark is such a good runner. I've seen him do that pose a lot. :)

J said...

Oh, and by the way, you are getting fast! 7km in 44 minutes? What if I can't keep up with you in Disney!!

Cindy said...

Love the picture, reminds me Ohio

J said...

I know why you went so fast! The potato!!

Amy said...

Yep, I did feel a difference in having had the baked potato the night before! I think I am going to stick with that the dinner before my longer runs on Sunday.