I had 16 on my schedule today and it was absolutely perfect fall running weather - I even put my new favorite running shorts on one more time and started out full of enthusiasm. Unfortunately I made three big mistakes that ended up making this kind of a tough run by the end.
My first mistake was not charging up my Garmin the night before. Shortly into my run it told me it had a low battery and by kilometer 11 it died on me. Bummer but not major because I did know where I still needed to run to get the full 16. I noticed, though, in the short time I have had it, how dependent (addicted) I have already become! It really sucked not to have that instant pace feedback and I have to admit, after it shut off I took a lot of walk breaks. But the two other mistakes I made were also responsible for that:
Mistake number two was being way too active yesterday - I did two separate bike trips for errands in the morning and then walked downtown with my kids in the afternoon. Mistake number three was waiting til kilometer 8 and 53 minutes into my run before taking my first gel. Add these two mistakes together and you get REALLY TIRED LEGS! I was just pooped and it was quite a struggle, both mentally and physically to keep going.
I did take another gel, I took lots of walk breaks, I briefly considered calling my husband to come and pick me up...but I did make it in the end. When I walked in the door, my youngest immediately said, "You look tired Mom!" - which is exactly how I felt.
So the whole purpose of mistakes is to learn something and the purpose of training runs is to learn this stuff before the big day. I am going to be more diligent about charging up my Garmin and Ipod on Saturday evening, I am going to be more careful about resting my legs on the next few Saturdays when I have lots of kilometers on the schedule, and I am going to replot my usual route so I hit the water fountain a lot sooner and more than once, so I can take my gels in earlier. So it certainly wasn't a waste of a run. And I did get a lot of sunshine and Vitamin D on my legs! And at least my Ipod didn't die on me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I don't have a Garmin or iPod but can relate to the other two mistakes. You are right, we have to learn from these mistakes.
We have always something to learn. I have both Garmin and iPod and sometimes I forget to reload them too. About the gel (if I have understood it is that fluid used not to lose strength during the efforts) I take it only during the last couple of km in the races because I don't want that it becomes part of my daily diet (during the workouts).
Sounds like you learned a lot and that is what these training runs are all about. Good for you.
Live and learn, right? You should be proud that you kept on going. I know how sometimes having that cell phone can be a huge temptation to make a 'save me' call.
Good job. Next time charge your Garmin. :)
I'm proud of you that you just kept going!
Even though I always bring my Garmin I also map my long runs before I go so I know exactly when I can stop, just in case.
I experienced that working out the day before a long run isn't working well for me either. That's why I decided the day before a long run is a rest day.
I still haven't tried gels, will look into it as from this weekend I'm going to build up mileage.
As you say, I guess that's the whole point of training runs...to get us ready for the big day, when hopefully, our mistakes have already happened :) Good job sticking with it!
Gosh! I am really far behind in blog reading! :(
Thanks for sharing this! It reminds ME to make sure I fuel properly. I forget to from time to time too, then wonder why I feel so dumpy!
Post a Comment