Thanks for all the comments on yesterday's post - I never heard of the automatic pause function on the Garmin, I will have to see if mine actually has that feature.
This morning I was not that enthusiastic about doing the intervals I had on my schedule (5 minute warmup, 4x 5 minutes fast with 2 minutes recovery, 5 minutes cool down). I just felt kind of blah. I was playing around with the idea of trying to do them outside, with the assistance of my Garmin, but I decided it would be easier - mentally! - to just go to the gym and do them on the treadmill. They were still hard but at least I didn't have to keep looking at the watch - just punch in the numbers and go! I ended up with 5 km in the first 34 minutes (not including the cool down minutes). Done!
I felt like I deserved a really yummy lunch so I made one of my favorite recipes:
Chickpea and Broccoli Couscous Salad
I usually eat half this recipe warm for lunch the day I make it and then save the other half for a cold lunch the next day. It would make a great side dish for a main meal, too, and it packs great - I even brought this with me the day we spent at an amusement park this summer - it's so good and filling. Here's how you make it:
1/2 cup dry couscous (whole grain if possible)
1 cup water
5 oz small broccoli florets (about 150 grams)
4 cups water
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 T raisins
2 t extra virgin olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
Bring one cup of water to the boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat, stir in the couscous, cover and set aside for 5-7 minutes.
In the meantime, bring 4 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat, pour over the broccoli and after 1 minute, drain and rinse with cold water.
When the couscous is done, fluff with a fork and add all the other ingredients. Mix well and season with salt and pepper as needed. You can really get creative with this recipe - use other beans, add fresh herbs or other seasonings, add a bit of seeweed to the couscous cooking water, use flax or hempseed oil for the dressing, use lemon juice or cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar, etc. Enjoy!
5 comments:
That looks awesome! I love chick peas and couscous, but never have put them together!
Lunch looks delicious!
You have a pause function on your Garmin. Mine is upstairs but I'll look later where you can turn it on and I mail it to you. I use it too.
I prefer intervals on the treadmill too, tried it once outside but had the settings wrong on the Garmin so didn't really workout. Besides that when I run outside I cheat sometimes and quit before the interval is over, on the treadmill I don't do that.
I tried the automatic pause button but didn't like it. Maybe I will have to try it again once I am back running.
Very simple and versatile..also something that can be easily done even in a 'tired' state..
thanks!
Made this last night for lunch this week. Can't wait to try it! I put some slivered almonds on top for crunch and I might add a tiny amount of pink salt tomorrow.
Post a Comment