Monday, September 6, 2010

A Recipe for Recovery!



Today is a recovery day - so I walked Felix to school, did a half hour of yoga with Seane Corn's videos on the computer, and then biked to the grocery store - it's still gorgeous here and it was perfect weather for biking.

I wanted to share this recipe for Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips - they are awesome and I made them several times this summer with zucchinis our neighbor gave us - to rave reviews! My kids friends are always amazed that there is a vegetable in there - and I am pleased that it is a healthy vegan recipe. So if you have some zucchini in your garden, or you are lucky enough to get some from somebody, try it out!

Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
In a large bowl mix the following:
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups white flour
  • 1 t each of salt, baking powder and baking soda
  • 3 t cinnamon or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves

In a second bowl, mix the following:

  • 1/2 c olive oil (classico)
  • 1/2 c applesauce
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 c sugar (I use unrefined cane sugar, also called sucanat)
  • 2 c grated zucchini (with skin but without seeds and pulpy part)

Add the wet ingredients gradually to the dry, stir until just mixed, then add 1 cup of dark chocolate chips. Fill muffin tin 2/3 full and bake 17-20 minutes (longer for larger size muffin tins) until done. Enjoy!

Hope you all have a great week!

10 comments:

Ewa said...

These look awesome. I can just see myself eating them all at one sitting.

Andrea Leigh said...

Thanks fo sharing your recipes! I love trying new healthy recipes out. And congrats on the great long run!

Fudgey said...

They look & sound delicious

Lori said...

Yummy, yummy! Thanks for the recipe :D

ajh said...

Sounds like a good day! Thanks for the nice remarks today.

Anne said...

Thanks! That sounds delicious! :)

Fran said...

Where the weather was so beautiful yesterday it's nothing but rain, rain, rain today. Hopefully this won't last long.

Recipe sounds interesting but I don't think it's something I would like although they look delicious.

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giorgio said...

My daughters love muffins. Thanks for sharing that recipe Amy!
Great long run!

Kathleen said...

My children and I made these today -- they said they're great! Thank you!